Beyond is a fresh and innovative program that emphasizes leadership development while combining the benefits of both formal and informal educational experiences. Living in Israel, for either 5 or 9 months, Beyond offers a unique balance of academics, experiential travel, enrichment education, cultural immersion, and community service. Open to applicants of all Jewish backgrounds and nationalities, the program is forward looking and exposes participants to a variety of ideas without advancing a specific religious, political, or ideological approach.
The first session of Beyond is centered in Tel Aviv and leverages the city’s many assets – highlighting the innovation of Israel, a taste of campus life at Tel Aviv University, and ample opportunities for exploration.
The second session of Beyond is about choosing your own path and making an impact. The core elements include selecting an elective block and a community-based service project in either Jerusalem or in Ethiopia. Together, these experiences are designed to open a window onto a unique aspect of Israeli society and give participants a chance to leave their own personal mark.
Although the Beyond year is generally an all-inclusive experience, a number of optional add-ons are available for participants seeking additional enrichment experiences within Israel or beyond its borders.
Specialty Tracks and add-ons:
- Community Service Electives – Jerusalem or Ethiopia
- Enrichment Electives – IDF Marva Basic Training, Magen David Adom Paramedic Course, or Volunteering at Kibbutz Kramim
- International Travel Electives – Italy, Spain, and Poland
- Skills Electives – Culinary Arts, Photography & Videography, and Scuba Diving
- Choose either a 5 or 9 month experience
- Live in Tel Aviv for the first session
- Combine community service, travel, and cultural immersion in the second session
- Travel opportunities in Israel, Europe, and Africa
- Add a skills elective such as culinary course, video and photography course, or scuba diving course